2/4/13

Special Edition: The Spirit Indestructible

Okay, let me preface this entry by saying that I haven't actually listened to the whole album yet. Just a few of the songs that have come to my attention over the past 10 hours. I found a great channel on Turkish TV to watch Western music videos and I wasn't pleasantly surprised by Nelly Furtado's new song. So I checked out some of the tracks on youtube today. And this is what I bring to you.

TRIPLE PLAY!

Nelly Furtado - Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
The video is soooooo, soooo, weird. The song is much, much weirder. I can't believe this is real. I mean, it's got quite a bit of views (7+ million), so I was a bit late for this boat. But there is something catchy about it. I think it's just that in general there are very deep and interesting melodies at the background of this track. I love those tones. And also, I find Nelly Furtado to consistently release stuff that is danceable. I don't love her talk singing throughout though.

Very chill track, though. I like the "I can go fast/I can go slow/I can go places nobody else goes" motif. Very catchy and very chilling. However, the song is not really sticking with me on the third or fourth listen. It may fall by the wayside, but I'll check it out again in the next couple of weeks.

The Native American dancers are sweet. Does anyone know if that's authentic? It's true, Nell, I ain't never seen nothing like that.

Bigger the better...

There was probably no need for the pickup at the end. The next song I'm about to review does the same damn thing. A weird pickup. Reminiscent of Black-Eyed-Peas' "I Just Can't Get Enough."

Worth watching?: Yes, if only for the weird Illuminati and imagery.
Downloadable?: Leaning toward no.

Nelly Furtado - Waiting For The Night
I do love this song. Actually I fell in love with the video last night because I like the day of the dead/flamenco hybrid thing going on here, and the makeup is amazing. Even if you don't like the style of music or the girl herself, watch the vid, it's very artful. The dancing is quite cute and the imagery is unique. I love how colorful and exotic music has become in the past few years. It's all about being extravagant in the pop industry these days.

As for the song, there are so many interesting sounds that I'm getting a bit addicted to it. I hear accordion, but I also like the underlying whine. And there is a very interesting Asian-sounding or morphed guitar pinging at a certain point, which I find very sexy. Then there are dropping beats also, very mysterious. I very much enjoy what she or her producers have done with this one.

I don't really understand the meaning of the lyrics, however: are they about being in love but having to wait a lot for her lover? Or maybe he's a secret lover and she's trying to draw him away from his wife/girlfriend? Or maybe, he only booty calls her and she wants more? All very interesting.

Unnecessary pickup again at the end of the song, but so be it. That's the style these days, is it?

Worth watching?: Def.
Downloadable?: Oh, sure!

Nelly Furtado - Spirit Indestructible
Starts very weird, very slow. The second string of this song is great though, and it does inspire me to get up and dance, and possible engage in some other weird behavior. Actually, I would consider downloading these three songs and doing crazy shit to 'em, tonight!

There's something eerily cheesy about this song though, and it extends beyond the lyrics of being indestructible. I think it may be the background scenery and her costumes in the songs. It is generally uplifting, but that's just the melody and the drumming doing some work on your inner rhythm, probably.

Again, mad chill beats on this one though, for a pop girl. And she is definitely more prude that your run of the mill sexy Canadian. Did I just say that?

Worth watching?: If you're in to the Uli from Project Runway thing.
Downloadable?: Nahhh...


That concludes this special edition! Have a field day!

No comments:

Post a Comment