11/27/12

Volume 4: Malaysian or not?

Yuna - Terukir Di Bintang
Not sure about this one yet. She is Malaysian, and I've never heard the language. It's a new one for me. I'm excited to listen to it a few times and see if I recognize any words. The only problem I have with the song itself...so far..is that it's something Italian sounding. With an accordion, and these overlaying synth vibes, and I'm not sure why. I would have liked to hear her voice paired with traditional southeast asian sounds, because her voice is very soothing. There is also something soothing about this piece. I'll give it another listen.

By the way, the video I've linked you to is nothing special. It seems to be shot in Rome and Venice, but is unofficial, as the title states.

Anyway, she is a beautiful creature and I like her turban. I wish I could rock that look. I mean, she's probably wearing it because she's Muslim, but you know. It's stylish.

I'm still trying to figure out why a youtuber wrote "F*CKING MALAY GRASS GOAT!" in a comment to this video. Grass goats...are they a thing? Is that a racial slur? Did this girl really do something to deserve that comment? Well, maybe. Hit me up, let me know.

Worth watching?: Maybe not, but definitely worth listening to.
Downloadable?: Well... if you don't have anything in Malay to show your friends...yeah, I might download it.

By the way, I've watched a bunch of her other vids, and I've decided I like this one's attitude best. Cute vid also, gives you a little peek into the culture.

Sleeq & Najwa Latif - Untuk Dia
Ok, I have so much to say about this I can barely contain my excitement. First off, I need to mention that this video is being promoted on youtube, which basically means someone is paying money for hits. Well I hit that.

What we have here would appear to be two teenagers chilling with a pubescent chick and partying on a lazy Sunday afternoon. They cruise around in their very expensive car asking me questions about Singapore, which I can't answer. I really don't know guys. Do I want to go to Singapore? Sure! Meanwhile, the headscarf girl continues to look uncomfortable and the wind from the car ruffles her hijab.

Is facebook really called Mukubuku in what I presume to be Malaysian? Are these guys speaking Malaysian? No wiki page, except for one in probably....Malaysian. There's also something going on with the acronym "KL...oh KL...yeah KL...."

Girl sings! Is she a girl? Wait, she is really short. Is this a joke?

Watchable?: Omg yes.
Downloadable: Doesn't seem like it.

Well! This has been a cultural experience. Turns out a lot of kids on you tube randomly mix English in with their own language. I wish I could do eso, pero parece que ana ataklm a lgha inglizia. Buyurun bay bayan!

Yep ok, that's enough.

4 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! I love your blog and would love to become a follower if I may :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not a head wrap its a turban. Some youtubers are just dumb, they dont know what they're talking bout. Yeah I am Malaysian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I'll change it. :)

    ReplyDelete